Thomas and I both have analytical personalities, which sometimes results in analysis paralysis (known to the rest of the world as indecision). This has even led to the re-purposing of the term “the f-word” in our house. Yes, I’m talking about “favorite”. The “What is your favorite [insert whatever]?” question is pretty much banned from our conversation entirely. However, when you get back from a vacation to Hawaii, it is impossible to avoid. After much thought and consideration, I have decided that Tuesday was my favorite day and now I am going to tell you why. (hint: it involves a lot of exploring!)
- My Cafe: Our vacation had been filled with many food introductions by our wonderful hosts, but Tuesday morning Thomas and I decided to explore on our own. My heroic husband found My Cafe recommended somewhere online and it was a complete winner! We had a wonderful, relaxed, quiet breakfast together, ordering way too much food, and eating every last bite of it. The customers sitting on both sides of us leaned over and asked which dish the french toast one was on the menu. Irresistible, I tell you.
- Chinaman’s Hat: Fueled up with carbs, we dove in (figuratively…I like to keep my skull intact in shallow water) and swam the almost 1/2 mile out to this tiny, pointy island, against the waves. The boys scaled to the top, while us ladies found a secluded, sandy cove to catch the sun and splash in. It was one of the few times that I’ve actually felt like we might be the only people on the planet. Nothing but ocean in front of you and a rocky cliff at your back (which Thomas, a.k.a Spiderman, casually conquered as I watched with panicked surprise). The swim back to shore was a little easier with the waves pushing you along, but I am super proud of my husband for killing it, without fins! And he calls himself a “casual swimmer”…
- Traffic jam: The way home from our adventure took a few extra hours (yes, you read that correctly), but the silver lining was getting the chance to chat it up with my best friend in the backseat uninterrupted. Abby, thank you for always talking and thank you for always listening.
- Interstellar: After our own exploration, we couldn’t help but be inspired by a movie night with Interstellar. For some, it was their first experience (because that movie IS an experience)…for me, that makes four. 🙂 Can you tell I’m a big fan? Ever since my first time walking out of the movie theater from that film, the world has felt so much bigger.
- No pictures: All that wonderfulness and only a few food shots to show for it? That means it was an awesome day, right? When you’re too busy having fun to think about the camera? But seriously, search “chinaman’s hat” on Google Images. Right now.
Yeah, I think that pretty much settles it. Best. Day. Ever.
How would you describe your dream day? Do you prefer to get off the beaten trail and explore or stick to the path?
Check out the rest of our Hawaii adventure: Part 8!